Kahlo | NYC

Saturday, October 20, 2018


My friend and I stopped by Kahlo on a rainy evening and we were glad to get some drinks to start things off.  Honestly, I forgot the names of the drinks since we actually got quite a number of them but they were all delicious!

The restaurant was also incredibly dark so please excuse the super dim and/or very flashy photos because it was probably the darkest restaurant I have been to recently and taking perfect photos here was very difficult.


To start, we obviously got the guacamole, specifically the Kahlo & Rivera ($16) which came highly recommended by the staff there.  I wasn't sure about the mango relish aspect of it since I tend to prefer my food to be all savory or all sweet and not a mix of both.  However, this one worked really well!  If you're looking for an unique twist on your regular guacamole, give this one a try.


We also decided to opt for a crudo dish and the Maine lobster ($18) was also recommended by the staff there.  To be honest, I think this was my least favorite out of all the dishes that we got.  I really enjoyed the large pieces of lobsters that were found in it but I wasn't particularly interested in the pineapple and mango relish.  And because that relish accounted for a large part of the dish, I ended up not enjoying it that much.  However, if you do like that relish then I think this dish would be great for you.


This was my second favorite dish!  We got a trio of molotes ($16) and for this one, we decided to get one of each.  Because my friend wasn't a fan of chorizo to start off with, he got the chicken and we split the huitlacoche (mushrooms) while I got the chorizo.  The chorizo one was S O  G O O D.  Good thing my friend didn't like chorizo because I would not have wanted to share this one at all!  It was flavorful and seasoned perfectly.  It wasn't too fatty tasting which can sometimes happen with chorizos.  The mushroom one was meh.  Maybe because I had the chorizo one first but in terms of taste and flavor, the mushroom tasted very bland in comparison.


We also decided to order two "botanitas", which I believe are appetizers.  The first one we ordered was the Tostados ($18).  I actually really liked the hard tortilla underneath but I thought that this tasted too fishy for me.  I think it was because of the caviar crema as well as the salmon eggs on top that really added that extra fishy-ness for me.  My friend really liked it though so I think it depends on how much you like fish!


The second "botanita" that we ordered was the prawns ($18).  It only came with 3 but they were huge!  It was also extremely flavorful and I really enjoyed the seasoning on them.


Of course, we couldn't not order some tacos so we decided to go for the Al Pastor tacos ($16) which came with 3 and I really enjoyed the tacos!  The shrimps that it came with were quite large which is always a good thing.  I also loved the savory-ness of the shrimps mingled with the sweet/tangy flavor of the pineapple salsa.  It worked really well together.


The final dish that we got was the Ancho Chile Arrachera ($34) which was by far, my favorite dish of the night.  I absolutely loved the presentation of the dish and how they rolled the skirt steak to resemble a rose.  The meat was so tender and seasoned so well.  We barely had to use a butter knife to slice the meat - it was that tender.  They didn't even give us a steak knife because they know that it was completely unnecessary.


We also ended up grabbing some desserts because who doesn't love dessert, right?  We opted for the Tres Leches and the Chocolate Mousse ($12 each).  I wasn't a big fan of Tres Leches to start off with so my friend was the one who gobbled that down.  He enjoyed it.  For the chocolate mousse, I thought it was very good.  The presentation for both (especially that chocolate mousse) was stunning.  I loved the flowers that they placed on each.

Overall, I enjoyed the place.  There were definitely a few dishes that I didn't love but there were definitely a number that I thoroughly enjoyed!  The standouts for me were definitely the skirt steak, the chorizo empanada and the guacamole.  The drinks that they have here were also fantastic so definitely give those a try as well! Also, the service was impeccable which is always a plus.

Overall Verdict on Kahlo: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

I N F O R M A T I O N   O N   R E S T A U R A N T   M E N T I O N E D
Kahlo
525 West 29th Street
Between 10th & 11th Ave
New York, NY 10001
(212) 256-0083

WHAT ABOUT YOU? WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN CHECKING OUT THIS NEW MEXICAN SPOT?  AND IF YOU'VE TRIED IT ALREADY, WHAT DID YOU THINK? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS!  💕 - Stephanie

 
SUBSCRIBE BUTTON 👉 
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS